Summary of 2019 Chair Report
The new Chair of the Melville College Trust, Alan Veitch, said he had been privileged to be delivering his first report. Not only was he following Andy Scott (chair of the Trust on no less than 3 occasions) but also following some very distinguished Melville College FPs.
- The Trust continued to support the ESMS schools providing bursaries of £231,638 which has enabled 30 pupils – 15 from Stewart’s Melville College and 15 from Mary Erskine School.
- £10,000 was made available to the school for small grants to support extra-curricular projects that would otherwise not have received funding. Awards made include:
- Outdoor Benches and Chalkboards
- Mindfulness & Yoga Club
- Allotment Club
- Darts Club
- Shooting Club
- Boxing Club
- Music Honours Board
- Eb Clarinet and Snare Drum for the Pipe Band
Other Activities –
- Installation of a commemorative plaque to mark the site of the old School at 7 Melville Street. The Trust were most pleased that former Primary Teacher Margot Christie was able to unveil the plaque in front of a gathering of former teachers, Governors of the Trust, School representatives and Former Pupils.
- The Trust formally registered for Gift Aid and hopefully this will be successful in attracting further donations to the Trust.
- Geoghegans were appointed as new Auditors of the Trust.
- At last year’s AGM, our 5 year strategy was approved and some key items are now being progressed which included the issue of the first Trust Newsletter to Former Pupils.